Conventional or synthetic?

I drive a 2003 Ford Mustang 3.8L and I have 112,000 miles , now should I switch to synthetic or stay at conventional?

• F
    1 week ago

That dang synthetic oil is the work of the devil. Use proper real oil out of the ground of the good  ol USA just as the Lord gave us.

Change it every 75 yards and you won’t go wrong!

Synthetic blend - change oil/filter every 5K.

Check regularly, and top off if necessary.

I would stick with conventional and change the oil and filter every 5000 miles. 

• Evil C

Conventional or synthetic oil doesn't matter in a vehicle of that age. It's more significant on much newer vehicles with tighter clearances and VVT. The main difference between conventional and synthetic oil is that synthetic oil doesn't promote the buildup of sludge inside the engine which is normally the result of lack of maintenance such as regular oil changes. When enough sludge builds up in an engine, it can rob it of power and can even cause damage that compromises the engine.

It doesn't matter as long as you change the regular oil and filter every 3,000 miles. You need to check and top up your oil every 1,000 miles.

• Erik

I have an old car, and I want it to last for as many miles as possible, so a few years back I switched to synthetic.  I haven't noticed any problems, and the oil doesn't seem to get as dark.

Do not switch if you have that many miles and have not been using synthetic.

Put the oil recommended in the manual.