Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 month ago

Why does working with or spending a lot of time on computers make people autistic?

... or could it be that computers are appealing to autistic people?

• Foofa

It doesn't "make people autistic". It's just that those with mild autism are usually better mono-taskers and are therefore overly represented in fields like coding. 

It doesn't. The association with autism and people who frequently use computers probably comes from a stereotype revolving around their introversion.

@',,,'@

Nôthing can actually MAKE you Auťîśťîc ťô 

thė fullest extent of my knowing but måny 

Aspie's like using their pc's of techno cr@p

a lot, yo!

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

It doesn't.

Autistic people can be disproportinately attracted to computers, for several reasons (because they find computers fascinating; because they can more easily find other people interested in whatever obscure topic they're fixated on; because they can get things done without having to interact with other humans directly, which can be hard for aspies, etc.), but the causal arrow goes only one way.

Your born with Autism, you don't 'catch it' or develop it.

It doesn't. Autistic people have what's called "special interests" which is essentially one or even a few subjects that they're fixated on and become experts in. It's a beautiful thing that has created many artists, scientists, and philosophers. Computers, code, and mechanics are really intriguing subjects that attract many autistic people for good reason. It's very admirable my older brother has been into IT since he was a teen and I wish I was half as good as coding as he is and I do computer animation as a hobby. He has a really nice paying job from that too. It takes a really special and intelligent person to excel at this stuff and I'm so proud of him.

I don't know about autistic but I do know that computers put out high frequency radio wave and the screen which is a bluish-green LCD causes flu and cold symptoms and other brain disturbances in some people just like it does when an epileptic gets exposed to a video game it's not impossible that looking at a computer screen could cause the brain to malfunction although I don't know exactly what happens I do know that if I look at my cell phone for too long I'll start sneezing and coughing like I have the flu and as soon as I put the cell phone away it clears up in an hour or two

It doesn't!  There may be personality that are common in people with autistic traits which means that they find the impersonal nature of computers attractive.