Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 month ago

Does it make any sense to pay for a burglar alarm when there is a one time purchase that is just as effective?

And I'm not referring to a gun. Because most burglars strike when no one is home.

There is a joke from the TV Show "Everybody Loves Raymond." 

Robert, the cop, took a second job selling home security systems. And he was trying to sell Raymond a system. 

Robert says: "And you get this yard sign warning of the home security system. Studies show that most burglars who see this yard sign will pass over your house and go somewhere else."

And Ray says: "We'll take the sign."

It was comedy, of course, but is that a good point?

Even if you don't have a security alarm, you could simply post a well placed sign in your yard or on your door saying that you do.

My guess is many  burglarsWOULD be deterred when they see that sign.

And if a burglar sees that sign and is not deterred, then the alarm itself wouldn't deter them either, because they'd be breaking in expecting it to go off.

So why actually pay a monthly fee for one?

Actually, the sign only tells them which system to be ready to disarm. I prefer a sign showing a target with the caption "Nothing inside worth dying for."

It's because comedy shows are not good sources of information.  Yes, you COULD post a sign.  Yes, your GUESS is that burglars would be deterred by the sign.  Yes, you think an alarm going off and placing an automatic call to a Police Station would not deter a determined burglar.

I pay the fee for one because my house was burglarized without an alarm system.

If everyone took your suggestion, and the burglars knew that no one had alarms, they would ignore the signs.

The flaw in your argument is the assumption that home invaders have any interest in stopping to read signs.

If they don't read the sign, and they break in, and no alarm goes off, then what did you accomplish?

If on the other hand, they miss the sign, break in, and an alarm DOES go off, then either the home invader flees, or they don't but at least you've got the police coming.