San asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Is this sentence grammatically correct?

He tripped on the muddy ground.

Thanks!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

The grammar is OK, but the logic is defective. Tripping implies stumbling over an obstacle. Mud is not an obstacle, but a condition that reduces traction. Mud can make you slip, slide or loose footing, but should not cause one to trip.

• 1 month ago

It's OK. You're not Rene Descartes. As I see it, you're probably just trying to write a sentence that the average speaker of English will understand. If it's appropriate, you might consider, "He slipped in the mud and fell. (If that's what he did). Or maybe, just he slipped in the mud, if he didn't fall.

Hope this helps a little.

• 1 month ago

But what made him trip? This is the essential point. People don't usually "trip" on mud; they trip over some kind of obstacle, like a stone, or a raised tree root. 

If you're walking on a muddy surface you're much more likely to slip than to trip.

• 1 month ago

You repeat yourself using "muddy ground" two words that mean the same thing so use "He tripped in the Mud." If you want to use both say, "He tripped upon the muddy ground."

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

He slipped in the mud, or because the ground was muddy.

• Julius
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

It's okay grammatically. I would write, "He tripped and fell into the mud." Because it's obvious he is walking on the ground it is redundant to mention it again. 

• 1 month ago

He slipped on the muddy ground..or He tripped on the rocky ground

• Rain
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Yeah but if it was wet mud I would said "slipped" but hard mud you can trip. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.