Iam asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 month ago

What kind of culture do you have to live in to be indoctrinated into a conservative?

A culture of skepticism. I started out progressive. Wandered into atheism. Right here on YA actually. Learned a bit more about logic and burden of proof and such and then one day, I applied all that to one of my core progressive assumptions. Turned out I couldn't really defend my assumption. So I looked at a few more of these assumptions over the years and couldn't defend those either. I know that a lot of progressives THINK that an anecdote or a poorly-understood cherry-picked legal case is proof that all of America is X but those aren't actually good arguments. 

So, my answer is "skeptical culture" and it's not indoctrinated. It's being freed from indoctrination. 

Well, to be fair, I don't think I'm a CONSERVATIVE except that I vote against the progressives. Seems to me though that conservatives aren't really saying much beyond: 

Make smart decisions. 

Work hard. 

Obey the law. 

Do these 3 things and you should be alright. 

If you care to dispute these things, be my guest. I already anticipate your 'rebuttal' and no, the occasional outlier doesn't disprove the general idea that these are good advice and that people SHOULD (meaning 'probably') be alright (meaning not meet with a horrible end other than the death that comes to us all).

The "thinking for yourself" culture. 

I know that may sound foreign to a liberal like yourself. You automatically assume you have to be indoctrinated and have someone tell you what to think (as evidenced by your question) but the vast majority of Americans don't look at things that way. 

Conservativism is synonymous with Wisdom.  

Red and I don't mean communist