Would you say revelation is a product of/caused by, reflection, or does it have other origins?

• j153e
    Favorite Answer

"Revelation" in the 14th century indicated something a Moses, a Rabbi Ezekiel, a Paul, a Mohammad (pbuh) would bring forth, as God's emissary.  Heidegger's use of disclosure as revealing truths covered over by neglect reflects the broadened ~15th century usage of revelation.

Heidegger's method is classical philosophy;  Winnie-the-Pooh's reflections in the One Hundred Acre Wood, Dante's midlife experience in a wood and losing his compass until Virgil helps him, and Robert Frost's "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" are philosophic-like excursions into various revelations, from the metapoohical to the sublime to the poetic.

So there is a conscious reflector, a topos of reflection, and hopefully a step well taken along life's path.

Winnie, Dante, and Robert may have been helped in achieving disclosure by the better angels of their natures.

In the Moses, Ezekiel, et al. instances, the active agency of Light, God, pours into the consciousness of the prophet.  The other origin is clearly One Mind, and Plotinus' Soul-realization as concurrent reflective experiencing of Being is like Einstein's "thinking God's thoughts after Him."

Kant's position on this One Mindness as Noumenal downloading into human, Cartesian Image of God realization is:  Kant interprets God to Man, Man to Man, and Nature and Man in Nature to Man.  Hegel's critique of Kant as not going into revelation of Spirit is notable as Kant's chariness re interpreting "God in Nature" (panentheism, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panentheism ) and "God in Man.  ("Immanuel").

Poincare's boarding-a-bus experience of an entire engram of Light showing the correct solution to a long-sought maths problem is a type of Light revelation more similar to e.g. Rabbi Ezekiel.  Henri Poincare wrote of his experience, which occurred as he was beginning a geological survey:  "Just as I put my foot on the step, the idea came to me, though nothing in my former thoughts seemed to have prepared me for it, that the transformations I had used to define Fuchsian functions were identical with those of non-Euclidean geometry....I made no verification...but I felt absolute certainty at once."  Dr. Poincare experienced several such epiphanies or revelations in the course of his career.  Emily Noether, considered by Einstein, Wiener, and Weyl to be the most important (female) mathematician of all time (I would suggest Hypatia as well), imho benefited by a higher form of revelation, perhaps intermediary between Poincare and Einstein, when she brought forth the symmetry-energy conservation relation known as Noether's Law.  There are many kinds of revelation, perhaps as many as there are people.  An interesting example of revelation per reflection is Rosenzweig's "The Star of Redemption" (he summarizes in the last couple of chapters).

It is not supernatural, if that is what you are suggesting. 

No.  Revelation is the last book of the New Testament.  Interesting reading if you have a good commentary.  In fact, I recommend reading the entire New Testament.  I suggest starting with the Gospel of John.  Lots of answers about life in the Bible. 

When I was young I finally had this revelation that if I didn't get it together and get to work soon I was not going to be able to get along well in this society.  Fortunately the revelation was true as I was able to save myself barely enough to retire with some sort of an income.  I almost didn't make it to this promised land.  I almost didn't see (reflect) it that way.  

• Judy

Yes I agree, because something that may have been overlooked can come to the limelight while we reflect and review a situation in our life.

I would not say that, as it would be completely contrary to how I appraise revelation against the background of my own aggressive ontological inquiries. 

• P

Not always, although it would be unwise to undervalue reflection and the benefits it can bring.  

Revelation, I find, often comes in a blinding flash from some new discovery. As we randomly wander through what appears to be life's rubbish dump of humanities cast offs we may, if we're very lucky, occaisionally stumble across something of pure gold. There is a blinding flash, our eyes open, and a whole new vista opens out in front of us. 

Reflecting on the past is only productive if we have an open mind prepared to learn from it in looking to the future. Understanding is the key ! Living in the past is a mistake.