Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Do cats eventually gain instincts not to attack skunks?

This 2nd time my cat got sprayed in the face, this time I opened the door at night for me to leave and she quickly noticed a skunk and ran between my legs b4 I could do anything. I washed her with skunk shampoo right after and she doing much better than last time. I know skunk sprays could cause health problems so I am concerned, please lmk any knowledge or advice for this situation.

Also she is a Persian cat so should I take her to check for any breathing problems even though she not gagging or vomiting

• Ocimom

The cat should not be going outside.  Persians are not the smartest cat in the world.

No.  Cats arent that smart.   Do cat owners ever learn to just keep their pet indoors?

Cats are smart animals. They can learn from their experience. There is no instinct to avoid skunks, but they will learn to avoid them if they get sprayed and it gives them pain. Skunk spray is toxic and it can hurt if it gets into the nose and eyes.

• PR

Maybe, your cat needs a cat friend. In other words, if you have only one cat she may benefit from a kitten or cat who needs a home. Be sure you introduce them properly. You should not need to purchase another expensive cat - just a friend for this kitty.

Besides that, it would appear your cat doesn't get it on this skunk issue. If there is no other option, be sure the cat doesn't eat until later in the evening. Get her inside for the night, then feed her, then KEEP HER AWAY FROM THE DOOR. Maybe, your cat just likes the skunks! Perhaps you could get a descented skunk for company for her, lol!!

• arther

she didn't learn the first time so probably not.