Adam asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 month ago

Conservatives claim that Liberals don't blame China for COVID-19. Liberals: is this true or false (please explain your reasoning)?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

If the 2014 Ebola outbreak had gone global, who would you blame, and why?  Ever since SARS and MERS, epidemiologists have known that a global pandemic was only a matter of time.  That's why we had a cabinet level pandemic response force, and that's why we had CDC folks embedded in other CDCs around the world.

I certainly don't believe China "created" Covid-19.  Yes, it jumped there, probably from bats to some game animal, then to humans, and China failed to keep it inside their borders.  If the virus isn't intentionally spread, then it's a force of nature. If the point of origin made best efforts to contain it, that's pretty much all we can ask.

So, to the extent that China did a lousy containment job; to the extent that they kept the spread secret from the world, I blame them.  Did you know that in Milan & Turin Italy they started testing old wastewater samples for Covid-19 and found it as early as Dec 18th?  That suggests it was spreading internationally before China had even identified a problem.

• 1 month ago

This is true, because we know that China didn't cause it deliberately, didn't spread it to the U.S. (Americans did that), and did everything that they could to prevent it from becoming a global pandemic, which is more than I can say for the United States of America.  We should get blamed for more of the deaths than they should, because most of the deaths wouldn't have happened if we had done as much as them to contain it.

• Juana
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Look up "strawman argument." If a liberal says that 99 percent of Muslims are decent, peaceful people, cons will claim that we "love" Islam and support the beheading of gays and the stoning of women. If we say that Trump's response to the pandemic was slow and insufficient, cons will say that we "love" China and "hate" America.

• Jason
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The world would be safer if China were isolated like North Korea. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.