Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Why do some people marinate their steak with lemon juice and olive oil and soy sauce?

Steak is already insanely expensive so to add anything other than salt and pepper is absurd. I don’t want to have to spend even more money on expensive olive oil soy sauce and lemon. A lot of receipes I see online Incoude marinating steak in all of these ingredients. What’s wrong with just salt and pepper

Favorite Answer

Some cuts need a good marinade to break down the fibers. Cuts such as ribeye, tenderloin, Porterhouse/T-bone or NY/KC strip don't need anything but a little salt and pepper. But a good dry rub doesn't hurt them either. They can enhance the flavor but aren't needed for tenderness.

But if you're the same person that said chicken didn't need anything but salt and pepper, you don't know very much about cooking.

, where vinegar is used for often

Never thought lemon juice was common with meats, where vinegar is used for often. 

• kswck2

Cheaper cuts like London Broil benefit from marinating. Lemon juice is an acid that will penetrate the meat. Soy is often used for gamier meats like Venison as it takes some of the gaminess out of it. Oil just prevents burning on a grill better. 

I suppose they like it that way.

I marinate my steaks in Italian dressing.

• Anton

Steak is *NOT* "insanely expensive."  Hell, on sale it is cheaper than hamburger.

What you call a "steak" matters.  With a good cut of beef, you can cook it naked, not even salt and pepper.  With a tougher cut of beef, then you need to marinate.

steak rubbed with butter is the only way to go 

Again with the lemon hate. Did one bite you as a child?

Who's forcing you to?