What do you think is the best way to explain the Trinity to a non-Christian?

75 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

You can begin by defining the Holy Spirit as an "effect" rather than person. In particular a special feeling one receives when in the proper state of mind to produce those feelings. While you can explain the Son as God in the Flesh, that really shouldn't make sense to anyone simply because God could just show up in the Flesh, no need to go through a pregnancy especially when Adam and Eve bypassed a pregnancy. The primary problem with the Trinity is it attempts to define three separate divine structures as one unit where there is clearly a disconnect between the three, which is why they are defined separately. Even the verse claiming three will bear witness is saying the Father, Son and Holy Spirit (which is technically you) are bearing witness towards yourself. If the three were one and the same, there would be no need to claim three. While it is understandable why the Trinity eventually became a concept, in the full context, the Trinity will never have a resolution that makes sense, not just at a thinking level, but using other bible verses.

• 1 month ago

THERE is GOD the FATHER who created all things,THE HOLY SPIRIT WHO dwells   in every one and restrain evil,and JESUS the FATHER in the flesh,THREE divine persons in one.BUT GOD.

• 1 month ago

This is a subject that will require your personal research to find the answer to your question.

To start, there is no way to explain the Trinity. It is not a Bible teaching. In fact, the trinity concept came into being under Nimrod (Babel/Babylon) who in absolute opposition to God made himself a god and instituted his wife as a goddess and his son as a god. This is the birth of the trinity -therefore it is part of false religious beliefs and a God dishonoring belief.

This is from Wikipedia:

Jesus in later Christian theology

Some have suggested that John presents a hierarchy[28][29] when he quotes Jesus as saying, "The Father is greater than I", a statement which was appealed to by nontrinitarian groups such as Arianism.[30] However, Church Fathers such as Augustine of Hippo and Thomas Aquinas argued this statement was to be understood as Jesus speaking about his human nature.[31][32]

Think carefully about the later part of this statement.  Then read John Chapter 17 and ask yourself a critical question: To whom is Jesus praying so earnestly the night before he dies?

If the answer provided in Wikipedia by a scholar is correct, then John Chapter 17 makes no sense whatsoever!

DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!!

Really hope this helps you to begin searching for the answers that lead to the truth about God and his first born of all creation, Christ Jesus. Colossians 1:15

• 1 month ago

Father, Son, and Holy Ghost

Well you have to think of everlasting life.

Jesus was born a son to Mary

But now you have to remember God has everlasting life. As Jesus is on earth he is also in heaven as the Father. And the both are joined though the Holy Spirit. 

Jesus is enteral.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Q: How can you say you are monotheistic and believe in One God, when you actually believe in three?

A: Say that they are only three different aspects of one God.  The Trinity.

To a Hindu I would explain it like the different incarnations of a single God like Khrisna.

There are no biblical verses that refer to the trinity, but there are over 100 scriptural verses which say that Christ sits at the right hand of the father.  How can he sit besides himself unless he has a multiple personality disorder? 

Why did Jesus pray to God, who he called his father?  Was he just talking to himself?

One egg can have 3 or more parts.  But the USA is one country, with 300 million people.  So are we just arguing semantics, or are the father, son, and holy spirit worshiped as separate persons?  Coptic Christians believe that Jesus Christ was two persons, the man Jesus, and Christ spirit. 

• 1 month ago

Christians have had revealed through the scriptures and the Holy Spirit something of the awesome, complex Being of the the One God. This revelation culminated in the person of Jesus Christ being resurrected. The disciples then grasped that He is their Lord and their God (John 20:28 & 1:1-14). No non-Christian can begin to understand this. Even the apostle Peter had to have the Father reveal to him just who Jesus is (Matthew 16:15-17). The best way to explain the three Persons who subsist in the one Being of God is to take them through those verses in John's gospel, that I mentioned.

But, a word of warning, many mockers pile in on this subject; people who pride themselves in claiming to have superior knowledge about God and Christ, but who dismiss the role of the Holy Spirit in understanding how to related to the persons in the Godhead. Their warping of the Trinity doctrine has all the distortions one would expect from the deceiver who doesn't want people adoring all three Persons as the one, genuine God. There are lots of them answering right now, showing their hatred and ignorance of this sublime doctrine, the hardest one of all to come to grips with - as one would expect of the highest idea of the Most High God.

• Don't, because there is no trinity. It's a man made doctrine not in keeping with the Holy Scriptures.

• TeeM
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Edit to Annsan.

I've referenced this material in many of my answers with the website.

As I said it is 'pro-trinity' and actually one of the best commentaries I've personally read.

But for you, it's found at:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/christian...

Some of its many comments beside the one quoted earlier are:

"A fundamental doctrine

The doctrine of the Trinity is one of the most difficult ideas in Christianity,"

"Christianity adopted this complicated idea of God because it was the only way they could make sense of One God in the context of the events and teaching of the Bible."

[This statement isn't true, over 8 million Christians understand God's word and the teaching of the Bible and reject the trinity as being false.]

"Scripture and the Trinity

For obvious reasons the Trinity is not referred to in the Old Testament, . . . The New Testament of the Bible never explicitly refers to the Trinity as such,"

[This statement is 100% true, so my question is, 'If it isn't taught in God's word, then why believe it or teach it.]

[This article states many of the 'catch phrases' of trinitarians, but that doesn't mean they are correct or that the Bible actually teaches those statements.]

My personal opinion, and yes it is only my opinion, from your many answers, I think you fall into the "while many more Christians don't understand it but think they do. " category.

Annsan, please pray to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ for the Spirit of wisdom and knowledge of him.

Eph 1:17 [pray] that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, 

Annsan, please return to Jehovah, for he forgives in a large way.

--------------

1st you are going to have to explain it those who believe the trinity.

Notice what one 'pro-trinity' website states:

"The Trinity is a controversial doctrine; many Christians admit they don't understand it, while many more Christians don't understand it but think they do.

In fact, although they'd be horrified to hear it, many Christians sometimes behave as if they believe in three Gods and at other times as if they believe in one."

If trinitarians can't understand it, how can they explain it to non-trinitarians?

• Paul
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You can explain exactly what the term means, but you can't expect them to fully understand it, because Christians cannot fully understand it. We accept it as true because God has clearly revealed it, but full understanding of it its beyond the capability of the human mind.

• Saint Patrick used the three leaf clover to explain the Trinity. Three distinct petals in one plant. Not saying it’s the best but it can work

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.