Anonymous

Am I good enough for an ivy school?

Hi guys, I am going into my grade twelve year, and I was wondering if I realistically had a shot for getting into ivy schools. 

grades:

- 90% gpa (unweighted) 

- 94% average for the last 2 years

- 6 IB courses

extracuriculars:

- Concert choir group leader

- Chamber choir member

- Concert band piccolo and flute first chair and soloist

- Leader and conductor of flute choir

- Social representative and senior executive member of the music council 

awards

- highest grade in grade 9 music

- highest grade in grade 10 science

- highest grade in grade 10 repertoire 

- Gold standing x 7 at MusicFestCanada

- Silver standing x 2 at MusicFestCanada

other

- I cofounded a non-profit charity to help shelter cats

- I have a personal project where I interview senior residents with various backgrounds for their advice, and I conpile it onto an online blog

- I work for the outreach team for STEM Fellowship, which is a national organization for STEM students in highschool and university

testing:

- Due to corona, I am unable to take the SATs and ACT, and almost all ivy schools have made it optional this year

If I put a lot of effort and revise my common app essay, do you guys think I actually have a shot at an ivy league school? Be honest please, Thanks!

Oops I forgot, I have also volunteered at the Emergency department in a hospital, but had to stop due to corona :(

You didn't mention the one thing that matters= whether you have lots of money or not

Why are you so hell bent on attending an Ivy League school, especially given that you're Canadian and will have to pay a bunch of extra money in tuition and other costs because of that? There are plenty of other ways to get a good education- including in the STEM fields- without going to an Ivy League school. Ivy League schools aren't all they're cracked up to be. Some of them, like Harvard, have real issues with diversity, both on and off campus. And they are all horrendously expensive. You'd be better off looking at schools at HOME, in Canada, than you will be in the US. And I am sure your PARENTS will agree that you have no business looking for schools here in the US, because I seriously doubt they can afford the tuition that they will have to pay to send you to school. Even if you by some chance get a scholarship or two, they don't PAY FOR EVERYTHING. There are lots of things that scholarship money doesn't cover, like room and board, for example. So either you or your folks, or both of you, will have to make up the difference in the form of student loans, which are different in Canada than they are here in the States. And depending on your choice of major, it can take a long time to pay student loan debt back. In the US, federal student loan debt is NOT dischargeable by bankruptcy, either.

You should look for a college in Canada, not here. Your folks will thank you for it.

this goal is self serving 

your question is not based on intelligence but ego 

Here in the U.S., "grade twelve" is called one's "senior year", hiding for some strange reason behind "anonymous."  How would any of us on Yahoo! Answer know?  Shouldn't you be submitting your applications to the "Ivy League" colleges you claim you want to attend?  My advice would be, "Jump, and the net will be provided" (a quote from "The Artist's Way" by  Julian Cameron).  

• j153e

You're majorly interested in music, science, and healing--all aspects of truth.  You're probably interested in some related profession, more likely in healing or science.

Admission to professional schools is less correlated to tier of school than to GRE and faculty recommendations.  A smaller college with less financial costs is often more able to provide a quality education than a school in which the student is in the lower half of the ability range in the major fields of study.

Instead of trying to squeak in as a lower percentile high prestige university student, most students do better in smaller colleges where they can continue to join and help guide various activities, experience smaller class sizes, etc.

So, maybe apply to maybe 5 Ivies, and also to some other colleges that have strong music and/or science and healing opportunities.  STEM curricula are fairly universal in the upper half of U.S. colleges and universities.

Almost all applicants to Ivies are their class valedictorian, at least salutatorian. And only 5-10% are accepted. Too bad you have no SAT scores, but you would need at least 750 on each part, over 1500 total, to have much of a chance at acceptance. Certainly, you can apply to Ivies - your achievements are hardly mediocre. But your chances of acceptance are poor. Competition is extremely tough! You must apply to back-up schools.

You must have had your IQ tested to be in IB classes, I know I took them, too. I'd say look up the average IQ of the Ivy league school and compare it to your own. If you have an average or higher than average IQ for the ivy league school of your choice, then go there. IQ is comparable to processing speed on a computer. Whereas, the higher the IQ the greater the processing speed of the person. Processing speed is how quickly someone understands the information. Think about this idea; if someone has an IQ of 85, then they process information more slowly than the average person. I imagine your IQ is at least 115. At least in America the average IQ of an IB student is 115 or so I've been told. That's good enough to get into college and at least get a bachelor's degree. Again, if your IQ is higher I'd say go for an advanced degree. A bachelor's first, and then, a master's. Possibly even a doctorate if you so choose. Part of me believes you're already a doctor or something and are just messing with people lol.

• DON W

Unfortunately, your grades are probably too low for admission to a US "Ivy", although your music skills might create some interest, particularly if you could commit to the university orchestra.

With that said, though, why do you want to come to the US when Canada has some excellent universities?

I hate to break it to you, but the first three awards are meaningless. A public 4 year university is best fit for you.

Obviously not. Your atrocious English grammar skills aside, a prerequiste for getting into an Ivy League school is knowing that it's called an Ivy League school and not an "ivy school."