Why do people believe theirs more than two genders?

I'm curious and would like to become more informed on the subject.

• Orla

People feel what they feel.  Why ask why ?  

Having just two for some people feels like they’re trying to make you something you’re not, as in if you identify as a girl you are being a stereotypical girl. Same with being a boy. Like someone just doesn’t feel like having to fit into either of these categories. I know a lot of girls still identify as a girl but don’t do stereotypical “girl” things and that’s ok but also sometimes in people’s head like you treat people of different genders differently subconsciously and with another gender it can change that. Some people also just don’t feel comfortable at all with being called a boy or a girl.

Source(s): sorry if this explanation is really messy, I know why there are more genders I just suck at writing all this down ughhhh

Some people feel like they are both, neither, something else, or something that changes. It makes people feel more comfortable. 

Frankly, it's because they're dumber than dumb.

• Paul

Because people with various psychosocial disorders would rather just be considered "normal", than bother to seek counseling and treatment for their disorders. There are simple tests that can determine your gender with great accuracy, and they only have two possible answers.

• Bee V3

Because they believe that sex and gender are two different things. The belief (If I understand correctly) is like this:

Sex- Your genitals, what you physically have in your pants, and what you were naturally at birth

Gender- A social construct, something humans made up to compliment sexes but aren't exclusive to one sex. How you are inside your brain, not on the outside of your body.

I think.

Anyone feel free to correct me

Why do you feel there only two genders?

Have you defined gender, p, v, masculinity, femininity, before transgender became a public word it was called "the gender spectrum", and why can't someone transition from one gender to another medically or socially?  But as with all good things in life, in God's kingdom, the evangelicals / religious right has decided to jump on the word transgender and demand that people live by their; hateful, self-righteous, dogmatic, ideals, We will Not.

Because of lunacy in the crowd.

There are cultural theory-type analyses of certain societies which appear to indicate some cultures have more than two genders.  However, a better way of looking at it is to see gender as a mass noun rather than a sortal concept while acknowledging the bimodal distribution of stereotypical gender characteristics, and to see gender as a form of social class.

I think it makes more sense to see gender as a spectrum, rather than two separate entities. Obviously biological sex is a different story.