Anonymous

Is it offensive to call someone an Arab?

I mean someone whose parents are from iran. What is the difference between an iranian and an arab? 

>*<,>*<

It has a negative vibe about it & hås 

bėėn that way since bigoted Xťîån's 

stårted hating on 'm after the 9/II aťťåck,

cughz !!!!

,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

• Zirp

if they aren' t arabs, yes.  Arabs are people who have Arabic as native language. Most Iranians (" persians" ) speak Farsi

Turkish, Pakistanis and Iranians are not Arabs 

Sadly for them

Not really.....

Nope.................

Persians (the people from Iran) are NOT Arabs; in fact, they don't  much even get along with Arabs.  They are different people for sure.  Differences are similar to how the Japanese, and Chinese are different.

• Craig

Offense is in the eye of the beholder.  A Swiss man might be offended if asked if he's German.  A Russian might dislike being mistaken for a Pole.  A Greek would likely take offense to being called a Bulgarian.  Or they might not.  It's a personal thing that you can't predict or say is justified or unjustified - it just is. 

Persians, who make up the majority in Iran, are Aryan (speaking an Indo-European language), which is where the word "Iran" comes from in the first place.  (Ar-yan=Ir-an).  Hence, they are not Semitic, which is the group and language family that true Arabs belong to.

Are Americans part of Mexico? Are Germans Russian? So why are Iranians Arabs? Their language, religion, history and culture are not the same.

Most Iranians are Persians, not Arabs.

IMHO (I'm not an "expert" on this) they may not like to called Arabs. 

In the same way, (and this I do know as I've been told by many Berbers) Berbers are not and do not like to be called Arabs.

• Peter

I assume that only folk from Arabia are Arabs.