Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsSingles & Dating · 1 month ago

Is it bad to be friends with my high school ex boyfriend?

I dated a guy when I was 19 for a few months, it didn’t work out and we stayed friends. I’m 28 now and we are still friends, we don’t see each other regularly but now and then we catch up for lunch/dinner or just coffee. What we had at 19 wasn’t a real relationship and neither of us had genuine feelings. So is it wrong of me to see him? I currently do have a boyfriend and he is also in a relationship 

I tell my boyfriend whenever I see my ex, I’ve asked him to come before but he says he doesn’t feel comfortable meeting with someone that I had history with. 

I have been friends with my ex boyfriend from high school and that was 10 years ago when we broke up for the final time and we ended high school in 2008. 

No as sometimes ex's make good friends later down the road!

• KFC

No It is not wrong, you dated for a few months almost a decade ago, he is just a friend. You are both in new relationships so both of you got over each other years ago 

• Sandy

until somebody puts a ring on it, you're a free agent. (so is your bf).

• Jen

Do you keep your boyfriend in the loop about seeing him and that you dated in high school?  Then its wrong if the answer is no.  Personally, I would bring my boyfriend with me to these lunch/dinners.  I think it would be different if you did see each other regularly and were close friends but being just casual friends... ehhh, its different.

I'm confused.  Why would it be bad?   You only dated for a few months almost a decade ago, you don't see each other regularly, you say it wasn't a real relationship, neither had genuine feelings....what is wrong about catching up with a friend on occasion that you have no feelings for??

I'm also confused when you say your bf is also in a relationship.  Do you mean he is also seeing an ex?  

How is that bad?  

I know I know, but that rule only applied back when you were actually in high school.  Once high school is over, it's a whole different set of rules.  I'm sure you've noticed that everywhere else in life, and it's no different when it comes to talking to exes.

Would you & he tell your respective partners about this meet-up?  Why not have a 4-some get-together to chat about old times?  You are playing with fire if you see each other secretly....and why would you do that?