Build computer for small home server?

I'm looking for help on building a computer to use as a small home server. What I'm hoping to do mainly is use it to put all my DVDs and music on so I can access them on different TV's, computers etc in the house. I know how to do basic computer builds but I wasn't sure if there are certain things that need to be done or if I need to have specific hardware.

Thanks for your time and help all!

• David
    Favorite Answer

The main difference between domestic PCs and a media server is the lifespan of the components, in particular the PSU and storage drives. Additionally some thought needs to go into backup and redundancy of the drives so if one fails you have a way of recovery. This usually means some sort of Raid array. If you are comfortable with this there won’t be a problem. If you simply want to share media then windows will do this or you can use something like FreeNAS. 

Alternatively you can use a prebuilt NAS from various manufacturers Synology, Qnap, Drobo, Thecus and populate them with your own drives. These address the specific needs discussed above with software to match.

• Mike G

Look into buying a NAS. I store all my media on it and use Plex software for streaming it.

you basic high powered current desktop can do this via Microsoft windows networking for computers.  access via tvs, phones, and other devices is more questionable ... most of them aren't designed to network with a computer.

• Scott

A standard size DVD is going to take 4.7 GB on your hard drive. That means you are going to need a big hard drive and preferably a solid-state drive.