Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 4 weeks ago

Was will smith in fresh prince a feminizing tv character?

This whole feminization and war on masculinity is getting ridiculous and to my head. I feel as if Will acting like Hillary trying to mock her using a feminine tone of voice can confuse kids. Also just the way Will is in the show. His actions seem very feminine and beta or is it just me? He loses figbts to girls etc... idk...Is he like this in real life? Or it just him playing the character?

Loses fights* to girls. And in some scenes the way he stands and his posture seems girly. And his dancing. Idk if its for laughs or if he is that way. Or if hes just acting..

• Foofa

FPBA was a study in socioeconomic clash rather than a treatise on masculinity. If you remember the series accurately Will Smith was meant to be a child, and children aren't macho no matter how much weight they lift. It's a story about a teenager after all. 

It was a 90s sitcom, not reality. I don't know Will Smith personally, so I can't comment on his real life personality, but his character was intended to make people laugh. He never seemed deeply feminine to me.