1998 mustang cobra catalytic converters ?

I need to replace my cats. I’m selling it soon and it has a check engine light to replace the cats. How many do I need? What kind do I need? And how much should I expect to spend?

1. Make sure you really need new cats

2. The cats (four of them) are built onto the H pipe. It's all once piece and costs about $650 to $1000 for an aftermarket catted H or X pipe. The install will be a couple hundred in either case. 

Erase the codes and see how long it takes for them to reset. If it takes a day or two, do what used car salesmen do to people...erase the codes and sell the car! To be fair I'd trade it in at a dealer rather then rat **** another person.

Before you start replacing them, which is very expensive, you may want to check the oxygen sensors and mass airflow sensors.

• Barry

Often a check engine light is down to a dirty or faulty sensor. Get the engine up to temperature and take the car for several fast runs. Then clear the indication with a code scanner. Carbon on the O2 sensors can send a false signal.

Go to a muffler shop.  Expect to pay around $400.

You have a check engine report that is telling you they are not working right. If fixed in time they will not need preplaced. A cracked header, bad gasket in the exhaust system or other leaks in the exhaust system can cause a lot of different error codes. All of those codes will go back to the catalytic convertor/s.

Stock direct replacements seem to have two cats per side for a total of four convertors. I can not seem to find a site that shows the cost of these "bolt on" full retail that are stock. Mega flow makes some after market ones in the 2000+ dollar range (on e-bay) and there are other suppliers that cost less. Most of the after market ones appear to be x-pipe configuration which is not what walker shows in their parts book. But walker does not sell a direct fit.