Should I buy a flagship smartphone or build a low mid-range to mid-range gaming PC in 2020?

I am using a $ 120 phone from 4 years ago and a similar low budget pc from 8 years ago though I do have a 1050 ti and cannot use it due to limitations of my older motherboard and processor. I would not want to upgrade the gpu because I won't play games that are newer than like 2 or 2.5 years old so I think that would be enough.

Favorite Answer

Cell Phone technology isn't making these great leaps and bounds advancements like they once were. The only thing to look forward to in the cell phone world is 5g which will end up being a must have in a few years. In fact, I wouldn't recommend spending a mint on a cell phone that's not 5g capable, and I'd say wait for that time to come. I'm using an iPhone 8 that I've had for almost 3 years, it runs like new, and I'm in no hurry to replace it. I tried using the iPhone X when it first came out but the flashy OLED screen hurt my eyes so I traded it in for a cheaper model with a traditional screen.

The GTX 1050ti would run 2-3 year old games just fine at 1080p. It could even play new games at 1080p low to maybe medium settings. If playing older games is your goal, then I would say to look into a cheaper Ryzen processor like the Ryzen 3 1200 AF, and a b450 motherboard, along with at least a single stick of 8gb DDR4-3000 or higher RAM. Depending on where you live and what the 2nd hand market looks like, you could also look at 2nd hand parts. Just a few weeks ago I got a Core i5-6600k and a z170 motherboard for $100. 

This might surprise you but my phone is just the Moto E4 Plus.  On my home network, it is more than capable of being used for Google Stadia, and I've been playing Assassins Creed Odyssey on it - the full game, not a complimentary app game!

If you buy an expensive smartphone you need to make sure that it's insured well everybody is going to have their eye on stealing it and if you drop it there goes a lot of money out the door me I'd invest my money in the PC at least it'll be home safe without the whole world looking to steal your phone