Anonymous

Is it a good idea to get a Master's Degree ?

Most entry level professional jobs require a BA and if you want to progress you need a masters.  Talk to an academic counselor.

worthless for the most part 

it depends on your base degree and skills

for example a art degree is worthless and Masters in art is extra time for the same worthless job skill

if you get a government job where skills are not important.. they will pay more if you have one 

It really depends on why you want it. I just got mine because it moves me up the pay-scale at work. Besides, the GI Bill paid for it. 

• martin

It's a wonderful idea.  Having that puts you in a better position to get jobs that require a masters degree, such as college teaching, and more.

Only if you already have a career and it can help further advance your career. Too many people go to grad school because they can't find any work with their bachelor's degree, usually because they didn't do things to help make them stand out competitively in their undergraduate career.

So because of sunk cost, they go to grad school, can't find a job, and are even in more debt.

• drip

In many cases yes it is worth it. But it depends on your major and career. 

Many people get their bachelor degree and work for awhile first. Many get their masters degree while working a full time job. Teachers can make more money by having a Masters degree.

• Tavy

Only if it will help you get work in that subject.

• Decide how you want to spend the rest of your life and how you're going to get people to pay you for doing it.  Then find the qualifications you need and study for them.  There's little point getting qualifications you're not going to use.

honestly i asked my VP at my firm. he said for me the only reason to do that was to get a better chance at a higher position IF you had to compete. a lot of times you WON'T get extra pay. businesses won't need that extra knowledge since most of the time they like to train their own empoyees. i mean if you're into biology then yes the sciences may require it, but I'm a software engineer and this is my opinion 100%

It depends on the major really. Not ALL degrees are worth going to graduate school because not only will it land you nowhere but it would also be time-consuming and money wasted unless you plan to become a professor. What is your degree in?