Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

I bought a used car,it turned into a rust bucket,can i sue?

Ok i bought my first used car 2 years ago,it has turned into a bad buy,the used car dealership told me it only needed new tires,they were right,all 4 tires popped from dry rot 3 month after buy,then it need breaks,they rusted thru,then the tailpipe exhuast fell off from rust,it fell off again for second time and it was then last week that while it was up in the air that we discoverd how bad the rust actually was,its so bad that my mechnic is willing to refund me for breaks and the other repairs,he says hell refund me becuz he cant explaine why they put them on in the first place due to rust,theyd just breakdown again,clearly the dealership covered up the rust by a bad paintjob and is spreading,it might be to late becuz i bought the car in 2018,but it doesnt seem right they took advantage of someone buying thier first car,is there anything i can do?

You buy used cars as-is.

Only if your planning to sue your self for being a lazy troll who failed to look after your ride on peddle car at the Home for half Wits!

First off you need to get a time machine and go back and read your contract.

Sure, you can sue.

You'll learn really quickly what the words "summary dismissal" mean.If you're lucky that will be the end of it.  You'll be out the $35 filing fee and the judge and defendant will have a good laugh at your stupidity.

If you're not so lucky the defendant will counter-sue for wasting their time with the frivolous lawsuit and the judge will issue summary judgement in favor of the defendant - which is fancy legal terminology meaning you'll get to pay the dealership for wasting their time with a frivolous lawsuit.

So although it would be incredibly stupid for you to do so, you can in fact sue the dealer who sold you this car.

After 2 years, it could have been 100% new metal and still be rusting by now. Even if it was partially rusted when you bought it, you wouldn't have a case 2 years later without a written warranty covering rust for more than 2 years.

After two years it is all your problem.

Sucks to be you.  

Not now. If there were problems with the car you should have first attempted to get them resolved with the dealership within 30 days of purchase--but after 2 years? No way. Most used cars are sold "as is". Even reputable dealers sell them with a 30-day or limited warranty--and tires are never part of that. It was your responsibility to buy a car you could trust.  I am not saying that the dealer wasn't some a**hole who sold substandard goods--but it happens. 

This is why they tell you to have any used car you are interested in buying thoroughly checked by a reputable mechanic before handing over your money. 

Only if the dealer gave you a warranty for longer than 90 days - the three months.  And on the tires, no.  NEW car dealers do not warrant the NEW tires on a car, the manufacturer has a separate warranty. Tires are NEVER covered under a dealer warranty. 

Brakes rusted through?  I find that hard to believe.  Use cars are sold "as is."  Not to mention it's 2 years later!