Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 4 weeks ago

I live in a dorm and I need to dye something and the water needs to be hot is there a tool I can buy that heats water?

I literally just said I live in a dorm... there is no stove. 

Check the dorm rules but they might allow an electric tea kettle because it does not have an exposed heating element as a fire hazard. A coffee maker would be a close second but it doesn't make boiling water. Don't bother with the hair dryer at all.

Microwave    ?

• drip

My daughter dyes wool and yarn.  I would not recommend dying in your dorm. Chances for the dye to get on something is high. It will stain.

I would do it in the shower. Have bleach on hand, Get a container larger than you need for what you are dying.  You can buy an electric tea pot if it is worth it to you. Or a microwave if one is available 

There are cold water dyes. Dylon Dye has a cold water dye

My daughter’s university dorm had a small kitchen on each floor. My son’s dorm had one kitchen on their first floor. 

• James

I heard you can heat water with a "kettle".  These are devices into which you pour water through the spout, and then just flick a switch to start heating it.

Does your dorm have a washing machine with a hot cycle? 

Also: please don't use a blow-dryer to heat water--if you drop it into the water you're dead. 

Try an electric kettle if you can't use the washer. There are also things called "immersion heaters" which are heating elements that are designed to be put into a container of water and will heat it. you can find them at most kitchen stores, or hardware stores. 

A coffee pot, hot plate or even a blow dryer for hair can be used to heat water.

There are many different types of electric water heaters from coffee pots to heating/hot pads.  Just do a search. 

the people on your floor haven't figured out how to get access to the janitor closet?  lots of things heat water ... coffee pot, for example

How hot and how much water? That makes all the difference. You can get an electric kettle to make some hot water but it may not be enough. You could use the hot water from the shower but it might not be hot enough. You best choice might be to rent a suite at one of the motels that has a kitchen then you can heat several pots of water all at the same time. 

• Mr. P

Buy a small kettle. Then you can make yourself a coffee in the mornings too, or hot chocolate before bed.