I am a 23 year old man with epilepsy and I live with my mother. How can I get a disability check?

4 Answers

  • Ann
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    Jayton, your seizures have to be uncontrolled with medication and frequent/severe enough that you cannot do any kind of work.  Just because you have epilepsy and you live with your mother, that doesn't automatically qualify you for disability.  You have to be certified to be unable to be productive.  Talk to your neurologist and go to DARS (Dept. of Rehabilitation) and get some training.  There are jobs you could do, if you want to.  It sounds as if your mother is enabling you to be helpless.  Think about some other options for yourself. 

  • Having epilepsy and living with your mother does not qualify you for SSI. How severe are your seizures? How often are they? Are they triggered by something specific? Most people are able to get their epilepsy under control so they can work after a reasonable period of time of it getting medicated. If you provided more detail, maybe you could get a better answer.

  • 1 month ago

    IF it is severe, and you are in the US, you start the application for SSI online. (just name, phone number, etc).  then you make a phone appointment to complete it

    if you have work credits, you can do the SSDI application online.

    many people with epilepsy can work, you need to have frequent enough seizures that you can't..despite treatmennt

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Apply for Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), which is often a long and arduous process.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.