Anonymous

I received a denial letter for my SSDI claim. Can I skip the appeal process and go for a disability attorney instead?

• Favorite Answer

Most people, not all, are denied the first time around. Be sure to file an appeal in the time frame required. Then look at the reasons they gave you for the denial.

If you do not have enough work credits - an appeal will accomplish nothing.  If you were denied because of insufficient evidence, perhaps your doctors did not cooperate when asked for information. If they say your disability does not meet the criteria for disability, try to get an objective opinion if it does or not. Some of that information you can get from a lawyer during a free initial interview IF you keep all your paperwork.  You may not need a lawyer at all.

no....you get a lawyer to go to court..., there is no skipping the appeal step.

You stand a far better chance of getting your disability faster if you work with an attorney