Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 weeks ago

I see no reason to peel potatoes. Am I the one who's wrong, or is it everybody else who are the ones who are wrong?

Why are they wrong? 

or why am I wrong?

What makes them right?

or what makes me right?

Some people like potatoes peeled, some don't. I never peel mine either. I like the taste of the skins. No one is right OR wrong. It's a matter of personal preference. 

cooked potatoes are edible peeled or unpeeled. Usage depends on what outcome you want.  For instance, the peel  on a baked potato is definitely edible but if you leave peel on say for potato salad, the peel should be soft and blend well with other ingredients. 

• David

I never do.

The minimum length of an answer is 15 characters

• Depends on how you're cooking them.  If you're roasting or baking potatoes then leaving the skin on is fine.  If you're making mashed potatoes, peel them.  Frying them...I've seen both.

That is the one kitchen chore I hate! I never peel potatoes.

• denise

Your'e both right and wrong,  Some can be left unpeeled for certain dishes, and need to be peeled for others.

No one is wrong either way.  I peel potatoes if I am making mashed potatoes. The skins are problematic.  For all other uses, I keep the skins.

• kswck2

Either way is good. Some potatoes have a tougher skin than Russets, like Red Bliss, so that the skins in a mashed potato may not be wanted, so they would be peeled first. 

Neither of you are 'right' or 'wrong' - it's down to personal preference. If you don't peel them, you just need to ensure they're clean.

it is a matter of choice. no one is right or wrong.