Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 weeks ago

I see no reason to peel potatoes. Am I the one who's wrong, or is it everybody else who are the ones who are wrong?

Why are they wrong? 

or why am I wrong?

What makes them right?

or what makes me right?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Some people like potatoes peeled, some don't. I never peel mine either. I like the taste of the skins. No one is right OR wrong. It's a matter of personal preference. 

• 4 weeks ago

cooked potatoes are edible peeled or unpeeled. Usage depends on what outcome you want.  For instance, the peel  on a baked potato is definitely edible but if you leave peel on say for potato salad, the peel should be soft and blend well with other ingredients. 

• David
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

I never do.

The minimum length of an answer is 15 characters

• Depends on how you're cooking them.  If you're roasting or baking potatoes then leaving the skin on is fine.  If you're making mashed potatoes, peel them.  Frying them...I've seen both.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

That is the one kitchen chore I hate! I never peel potatoes.

• denise
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Your'e both right and wrong,  Some can be left unpeeled for certain dishes, and need to be peeled for others.

• 4 weeks ago

No one is wrong either way.  I peel potatoes if I am making mashed potatoes. The skins are problematic.  For all other uses, I keep the skins.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Either way is good. Some potatoes have a tougher skin than Russets, like Red Bliss, so that the skins in a mashed potato may not be wanted, so they would be peeled first. 

• 4 weeks ago

Neither of you are 'right' or 'wrong' - it's down to personal preference. If you don't peel them, you just need to ensure they're clean.

• 4 weeks ago

it is a matter of choice. no one is right or wrong.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.