San
San asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

Which sentence is better?

A. Most handwritten records from the period have been lost in time.

B. Most handwritten records from the period were lost in time.

Thanks!

• User
    Favorite Answer

Both are OK

A is slightly better, slightly clearer (because it indicates a progression rather than a sudden, one-time loss)

but neither is stellar.

The problem is with the phrase "lost in time".

As Steve suggested, "lost to time" is better

but it still seems vague to me.

I would use "lost over time"

or something completely different

like "Most handwritten records from the period have not survived to the present time."

Both are grammatically correct. I wouldn't use "lost in time". You can write one of the following sentences. "Most handwritten records from that period were lost." "Most handwritten records from that period were lost years ago."   

Both are perfectly good - APART from "in time".  What does it MEAN?  That if we go rummaging about "in time" we may find them?  "have been lost" (or "were lost" according to context) is perfectly adequate, and does not require any further addition. Just leave out "in time".  

A is grammatically correct.

I think B sounds better but A may be the correct choice. Also I’d change it to lost to time instead of in.