Chances of Cancer?

3 of my grandparents have died from some type of cancer (skin cancer, breast cancer, and prostate cancer) before I was even born. My last grandparent left does not have cancer. I’m curious, what are the chances that my parents will have cancer, or my sister or I? I’m sure it’s hereditary and depends on genes, but is there any way that someone can determine this? 

More info: my moms parents are the ones with breast and prostate cancer. My dads dad died from skin cancer. It’s his mom that is just fine.

• MissA
    Favorite Answer

Let's just say it's very unlikely you'd ever get both breast and prostate cancers.

But to seriously answer your questions, both breast and prostate cancers have a genetic risk factor.  Skin cancer really mostly doesn't, except in the fact that the biggest risk factor outside of sun exposure for it is fair skin, which does often run in families.

The three aren't connected.  Cancer isn't one disease, it's thousands.  Having a relative who died of skin cancer therefore doesn't increase your odds of other cancers.

However one thing I notice is that all of your family cancers are commonplace AF.  One in eight women will get breast cancer.  15% of men who live to be old will get prostate cancer.  Skin cancer is literally the most common cancer on earth.  So your relatives could really just have been... unlucky.

All these things are worth mentioning to a doctor in the patient notes you fill out before an exam.  But not worth freaking out over.