What's the best thing to do if you are overwhelmed by negativity, pain and sadness?

No......................

I play around with my cat

• Jesere

I found the best way to deal with such is, start focusing on what you have. 

Take extra special care of yourself physically. If you are angry beat up your bed with a spatula,  you won't hurt yourself this way. 

You have strength within you, it may be deep down, you may not know you have it but, it's there. 

You are in charge of you. You can have control over what you think, how you perceive the world. 

You are important,  you are the only one of You on this planet. You must love, like, trust and respect yourself.  

Happiness is a choice.  

I know this because I have dealt with chronic pain 44 years, I witnessed part of the beating my father gave my mom which killed her when I was 14. My first husband beat me tried to kill me and took our 3 1/2 year old daughter and disappeared in 1982, it took me 21 years to find her.

• Sota

Unless you want to dull your mind with drugs I suggest you practice meditation and mindfulness. Try listening to Eckhart Tolle. He speaks about how negative emotions are caused by concepts and thought structures in your mind. Once you raise your level of consciousness, step into the present moment and transcend these conceptual realities, you will feel a sense of relief, clarity and inner spaciousness.

• polly

Read some online overcoming adversity & positive thinking quotes.

They're usually only a couple of lines long but they're really good at pushing negative thoughts out & replacing them with empowering & positive ones