Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 4 weeks ago

Adults enjoy fantasy films and books? Why?

Fantasy is such a low-brow form of storytelling and involves things that aren't possible in real life, with outlandish characters and ideas. Magic is boring too since it can do just about anything and means stories lack tension. I can understand children being okay with these things, but surely an adult should be able to distinguish between such lowly storytelling and real narratives. You're meant to leave behind silly things at some point and become an adult, not get up in fantasy worlds filled with wizards, dwarves and *elves*!

Have to say I totally agree with that

you write like you are 16 trying to sound very smart.

What do you expect from snowflakes who now promote coloring books for adults?

Reading fiction or fantasy is an escape mechanism for many adults for decades. I became fascinated with science fiction when was 12.5 years in old in 1965 when my father's cousin sent me Madelyn L'Engle's "A Wrinkle in Time" as my last half birthday present. I didn't read the book until I has 13 years old. Then Star Trek The Original Series premiered in 1966. I was hooked for life. 

In addition to handle Norton Mercedes Lackey and her husband and Anne McCaffrey and her son are among my favorite authors. 

In these days when so many adults have major problems with loneliness, chronic clinical depression since they were 13 or 14 or younger, physical, mental and it substance abuse problems, having a mental escape mechanism has become one way to hang onto the few threads of sanity and mental health you may have left, especially if you survived graduate school in the United States. 

I don't judge YOU if you play video games online for 18 hours a day. That is YOUR mental escape mechanism. 

• Koi

I loved Harry Potter as a kid and pokemon and seeing adults geek out about it is ridiculous. 

• funnel

Some of those adults got rich from it. Is that wrong? Like what you like.  At least people are still reading in these days of stupid and ignorant, 

thank God. Should everybody only read what you like? Why? Sorry. Got a lil angry there for some stupid reason.

Why do you care?  Just write some & make bushel baskets full of $ & sit in your new palace, laughing at the readers.  

Well aren't you special.

Just to educate you, most of the greatest works of classic literature would qualify today as "fantasy."

Like other forms of writing, there is good adult fantasy and bad. Try reading some of Andre Norton's work; it's very highly-rated (although I much prefer her early space opera).

BTW, Even fantasy has its rules. You have hit on one of the reasons in your question.

And who the hell are you to tell me what I should and shouldn't read?

You obviously don't care about books and the written word.