im 13 but really want to start dance and eventually compete. i have done dance before from ages 8-10 but i ve lost most of my skills.?

Update:

is it too late to start? can i still become a good / professional dancer? i know i will dedicate my time and energy but still is it even physically possible?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Although it will probably be more difficult at your age (considering your team will probably be at a higher skill level) it is definitely possible to regain your skill and flexibility. It might be recommended to do self stretching on your own and it might require a lot more work to get where you need to be. However, with dance, if you have done it before, it will be a lot easier to relearn than someone who's never danced before. To conclude: although you might be at a slight disadvantage, it IS do-able for sure and I wish you luck in your dance adventures in the future.

• 4 weeks ago

13 is late but not too old to start. Yes it is physically possible. However the majority who start when you did at age 7/8 and don’t quit still don’t end up with professional dancers careers. If you are thinking a professional career you don’t do competition dance as that is a dead end for a career in dance unless you want to be a competition dance teacher. 

In order to become a professional dancer you need to be born with the right body (a very specific bone and muscle structure,) facility for dance and musicality. No amount of training no matter how young you are or how good the training is can change those things. You have to be born like that. Then you need full time professional level training in a professional not  recreational dance school. Anything less than 15 hours of technique classes a week is considered recreational even in a top school. It is hard for anyone to become a professional dancer. Even those born with all the right gifts and who get the right training. Recreational dance schools don’t have the right training to pass along to students to get them even a small shot at a dance career. As I stated earlier competition dance training is a dead end. They teach dance tricks over proper form. Competition dance is a big business that makes its money on overpriced classes, expensive costumes and costly competitions. The dancers trained like that end up with higher amounts of injury or at best find their training has been wrong and they aren’t prepared to use it for anything other than the perpetuation  of competition dance schools. After high school competition dance is over for students.

So bottom line... if you were born with the right gifts and get into the right training, you very well might have a shot at a dance career. If not, where is it written you have to get paid to enjoy dancing? Dance careers don’t pay well and are short. Then professional dancers need to find a second career for the remainder of their lives. There is no reason you can’t return to dance and be your personal best. Dance for the Joy of Dance and dance can always be a part of your life. 

I suggest you start back with a teen beginner ballet class. Ballet is where you build your technique, dance vocabulary and body that is vital for many other dance genres. If you can start with two or maybe three beginner ballet classes a week, that is a good way to start back with a serious intent. Wait until you gain strong ballet technique before you add other dance genres. 

Source(s): My daughter is a professional concert contemporary dancer & choreographer. Ballet academy trained. Dance grad of LaGuardia Arts high school (the FAME school.) Graham & Horton modern trained. Juilliard SI. BFA in dance from NYU Tisch. Choreographer for music videos and performer in a world renown concert contemporary company. I worked for NYCB ( New York City Ballet)
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.