mia asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

How do I keep kittens from climbing the playpen? ?

(I am fostering them so it’s not temporary; they have the whole room to themselves) I like to have my door open during the day to keep my room cool and not stuffy. I keep the pen in front of my door but they figured out how to climb over it and get out of my room. I’m currently working on attaching  cardboard to it but if there are other solutions that would be so helpful :)

• Ocimom

The only thing that will keep them confined is the top has to be closed - a very large cage or the portable pen that has a zipper top will keep them confine.  Here's a link to the type of pen I'm talking about.

https://www.chewy.com/elitefield-2-door-soft-sided...

get some mesh and elastic from the fabric store and make a type of lid

• Jerry

Can you get a cage designed for a large dog? They can climb up to the "ceiling" and play jungle gym, but they can't get out. 

• PR

Once kittens can climb, they will climb. You might be able to get a tall gate to attach in the doorway. Two gates together will make it taller, but kittens know how to grab onto things and may just climb like it is a tree, looking back like: "So, you thought you could stop us!". 

You might need to keep the door shut, and then take them out to romp, at various times.

The only other thing you can do is keep them in a dog cage or the pen with a cover, and let them out lots of times to play, in the rest of the house. You also might reconsider the fostering thing, if the kittens are getting "out of control". That is how kittens are. We have a chair with a cover on it. 

The kittens we are fostering play on the cover, under the cover, under the chair but peeking from under the cover, and on the cover they have pulled onto the floor. They have also figured out how to pull the table cloth onto the floor once in awhile. That is kittens.

To quiet kittens down, feed them well. A hungry kitten is an active kitten. A fed kitten is quieter. Kittens should eat several times per day.

A cheap playpen cover.  They sell netting that goes right over the top virtually anywhere baby products are marketed.