Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Does this sound tasty?

Swedish creamed macaroni (stuvade makaroner)

Macaroni cooked in milk. You basically let the macaroni simmer in milk (with salt) for about 15 to 20 minutes while stirring the whole time so the milk doesn't burn and stick to the pan. Most Swedish recipes include nutmeg at the end, but you can leave that out if you like. Ususally served with meatballs and ketchup.

You can find pictures on Google.

OMG where has this been all my life? It sounds delicious.

• denise

Sounds like it could be nice, I might skip the ketchup though, and add some parmesan to top the meatballs.

No, it doesn't, quite frankly.  To me, it's a waste of milk.  I always use a sauce of some kind over macaroni, so all that's necessary is to boil the macaroni in a little salted water.

🤢🤮......................

I was brought up on the stuff, so of course it does!  It's comforting and delicious - to a Scandinavian.  I've managed to put it on a German plate too with only a raised eyebrow by way of commentary.  Alas, I've never managed to feed it to an Anglophone, not even a trial bite.  The expectation of cheese always going with mac seems to be too great to overcome to give it a fair chance.  

You short sell stuvisar a little.  It's a thick and creamy dish, you make it sound runny.  It's not just stirred to stop it from burning.  It's stirred to release the starch from the macaroni as it simmers.  If it doesn't get thick enough you can sift over a small amount of flour.  Also, you should add white pepper, enough to make your mouth feel the heat to contrast with the creaminess, unless you're serving it to toddlers.  We almost always had it with sliced fried sausages (with ketchup of course) and heaps of crunchy salad to contrast with all the stodgy goodness.  It's all about how you combine foods.

No, that sounds disgusting.

Why would I want to eat mushy overcooked pasta in milk?

I like Swedish meatballs and sauce over egg noodles as  much as the next person.   But that is not at all how I would prepare it.  

Wow!  Always wondered how they made those Swedish meatballs and other tasty stuff.  Had a friend whose family was of Swedish ancestry in north-central Illinois during high school.  Never could replicate their recipes.

cut the cook time a bit so it is not over cooked, add some cheese to the milk and you would have a fair Mac-N-Cheese.  The starch in the pasta would make for a good cheese sauce, much like a white sauce. Meatballs served with it would not be bad either.  Not fond of ketchup with meatballs, a bit of mustard would be good and would go with the Mac-N-Cheese. 

• kswck2

Sounds rather bland. And 15-20 minutes to simmer pasta would yield a rather mushy pasta, particularly a Fresh made pasta. 

• Tasm

Yeah it does, but I would put something spicy in it, and add a lot of cheese, no ketchup.