Knowing you are diabetic, did you go to a store and buy sweets and ate them anyway?

• 3 days ago

I ate sweets if and when I felt hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)

Links:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoglycemia

• Shay

When my husband was first diagnosed with diabetes - it was close to Halloween and we was buying about 15 large bags of candy to hand out for the neighborhood kids on Halloween night.  At the same time - my husband was also purchasing his first test meter and supplies for testing his sugar.  I didn't think about it until the cashier gave us a very strange look after ringing up all the candy and then getting to the testing supplies.

And - yes - my husband does still eat some sugary treats - but he is more careful about how much and how often.  He has fairly good control of his levels.

• Cammie

You are under the assumption that people with diabetes can not eat sweets.Life and diabetes care has changed over the past 100 years.

Unless you have diabetes, ,don't worry about it and stop making fun of us.

• Two or three times a year I'll be at the grocery store and just have to buy and eat a donut. 

When traveling and when dining at good restaurants, I'll also go for it with the carbs. 

I grew up as a type 1 diabetic. Yes O do buy sweets and O eat them without guilt because I know how much insulin to take. I've been a type?A diabetic for 65 + years and counting. . Yes, I can be a brittle diabetic. If I do NOT have sweets and regular fruit juice I could DIE from LOW blood sugar. I've fought my way out of so many low blood sugar episodes by myself, I mean low blood sugar episodes in the 20s 30s and 40s mg/ dc That other type a diabetics would probably have been unconscious. My last A1C 10 days?ago was 6.5. My last blood sugar 3 25 hours ago was 114. 

You think being a diabetic is funny. You do NOT want "to walk in my shoes." Yes, in some ways I am getting emotional revenge on my mother, but I refuse to eat cupcakes for breakfast because my mother haunts me. I am alive and kicking partly BECAUSE of mother. 

Knowing that I'm diabetic, I buy and eat anything I want, because I have very good control of my diabetes with diet and exercise, including the odd sweets here and there.

I used to need meds to help control my blood glucose levels, but no longer need them. My last A1c was 5.5, so I'm doing pretty good according to my doctor. 

So good, including sweets in moderation are OK, as long as you are willing do the work to make the best of your diabetes control.