Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 4 weeks ago

How do I bring myself happiness when all I can think about is disappointments of recent months?

Favorite Answer

A lot of our misery comes from being upset about being upset. This is being sad about being sad, afraid of being afraid, and angry at ourselves for being angry. If by fighting it you mean getting upset about your feelings, that's not a good idea. That doesn't mean wallowing in self-pity. The thing is just to say, OK, I'm sad, no big deal. But you want to do things that get you out of it, whatever works for you that makes you healthy.

"Don't turn away from a feeling that troubles you. Observe it as you meditate on your breath."

- Thich Nhah Hanh

Someone here asked, "How do you deal with disappointment or discontentment in life?" Here's what I said.

One of the best strategies for mental health is minimizing the amount of time you spend down in the dumps because of a misfortune. When you're knocked down, get back on your feet as fast as you can.

Optimism sometimes gets a bad rep. There's stupid optimism, which says that things are great when they're obviously not, but there's also smart optimism, which is always looking for ways to make lemonade out of the lemons life gives us every day - big ones and little ones. Instead of cursing your bad luck when things don't go as planned, look for the advantages of the new situation. Use your imagination. This is how to be "lucky."

Thousands of years ago, a wise man said that discontentment comes from two poisons of the mind - attachment, which is derived from the illusion that things can be permanent, and fear.

Psychologist Marsha Linehan, who created Dialectical Behavior Therapy, says that acceptance isn't liking something. It's learning to live with something we don't like that won't go away, at least not for a while.

A couple of tips

When you're in a bad mood, look at the thought that triggered it. See if it's false or otherwise useless. If it is, let it go and replace it with two positive thoughts.

Count your blessings, and remind yourself of your past successes.

Stop and smell the roses.

I've answered a lot of mental health questions, with advice from experts about a variety of problems.

There's a lot of things that can help. For example, you might be interested in stress management advice. Research has come up with various things that are effective and easy if not downright fun.

Getting off the internet becomes to mind.

• LAN

You can't.   You prove this by constantly posting this same pity me rant over and over.   Grow up.