We did not find results for: how can I tell if my heavy dining chair is real wood.?

It only makes a difference when you are selling it.  If you are not selling, it is a useless endeavor.

Flip the chair over and look  at the unfinished part of the chair(usually it is not stained or finished on the underside) The seat usually is wood. By looking at the finished side you know what wood looks like. It is uneven, has a wood grain.  Plastic does not have a wood look.  Usually the spindles are also wood and the arm rests are wood.  There is that many wood chairs out there.  Plastic ones are harder to find.

• k w

if it's very heavy, it's most likely a composite material.......I prefer real wood myself.......

If it isn't obvious whether it's real wood, tip the chair over and look at the feet.  Natural wood has end-grain. Scrape off a little finish if necessary.  While you may not be able to identify the actual species, it should become clear whether or not it's real wood. You can do the same thing with the underside of the seat.  In my experience, very few (if any)  "wooden" chairs are made of any other material than real wood. So-called "Asian hardwood" is a catch-all term for inexpensive imported hardwoods. Cheap, but certainly real wood.

• GA41

Unfortunately, you might need to shave some of the wood surface with a knife on the bottom leg of the chair to remove paint.  However, if you look at the wood under a microscope, you should be able to see the wood grain and possibly the annual rings of the tree if it is real wood.