Are my roommates going to try and milk their stay with me?

In January I allowed some friends to move in, a husband and wife, and told them they had a year to find a place. It's been almost 7 months now and they haven't even started looking. They only have 5 months now then they have to be out. 

My question is do you think they will try to milk this arrangement until the last possible moment, or will they try to start finding a place and move before then?

I told them a year at the most...... I wasn't expecting them to actually stay that long. But a promise is a promise and I intend to honor it, but come January, I'm selling the house and they will have to leave.

Do you think they will try to guilt me into letting them stay with me longer once their year is up? I seriously don't understand their deal because when I was renting a room I was also looking for a place so I could move out on my own asap but these people seem to not be looking at all.

What should I expect once the year is over and their time is up? Will they be adults about it and move on or will they try and give me a hard time?

Not much you can do at this point. I feel for you. A couple years ago I hosted that 'friend of a friend' everyone has. It was supposed to be for a few weeks, which stretched into months. In addition, various friends and family ended up visiting and spending the night..one night it was his ex, his two children, and two grown step-children. That's five people...plus the ex would bring the children's laundry over and run four or five loads of laundry through my washer and dryer. One of the kids insisted on doing cartwheels in the house, and the children had no bedtime. It was crazy.

He was on a job search, and I waited for things to *somewhat* stabilize, and I gave him 60 days notice, in writing.

I suggest, in the last week of October, you give the couple written notice that they're to be out December 31st. Yep, it's right after the holidays, and yep, it's winter. Too bad, so sad. My tenant knew what his family was like, was grateful as heck that I offered 60 days (which if IRC,would have put the move out date mid-January.) In fact, he was out before the end of November. Motivation is a wonderful thing.

Set a final date they need to be out, and stick with it. 

Of course they'll try to stay longer.  They've found a sucker and they intend to get the free milk for as long as they can.  I suggest you say that you have decided to sell the house immediately and they need to be out in 30 days as you need to money from the sale, ASAP.  It'll then take you about 2 months to evict them, so they will be out in 10 months to 1 years time and you almost kept your promise while not being ridulously naive (extremely naive, but not ridiculously).

When people allow themselves to be abused doormats, many people decide to take full advantage of the opportunity.

Have you even asked them? You're assuming an awful lot here--and you're speculating about something that hasn't happened yet. The pandemic has delayed everything. That includes looking for an apartment. The most you can do is reiterate that they have until the year is up to be out--and that the house is going on the market in January. You're manufacturing your own worry without anything so far to warrant that worry. Find out what they plan--and then go ahead with your plans. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to feel guilty. 

• Tell them that they need to be out by December 31st. If they haven't been looking, that's your answer. 

Seems like. 

Perhaps you need to talk to them and be clear as to when exactly they need to be completely out (ie them, and all their belongings); and put it in writing. 

• keerok

Just to be safe, remind them about their stay and suggest they can have the house if they pay full price for it.

Move this to the Relationship section.  It has zero to do with Business & Finance > Renting.

That said, nobody knows your friends.  How the hell does anyone here know what their plans are?  Why don't you be an adult and ask them?

certainly wouldn't be the FIRST time that has happened ..........