Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 4 weeks ago

My boyfriend is trying to take my business from me.?

Hi, so my boyfriend helped me open my own business under his name, since he already has his Own business & license.

Now he’s trying to break up with me and take my business name and all the money I’ve earned within my business. He doesn’t want to transfer the title to me, doesn’t want me to have anything. He wants to demolish my business name so I have no choice but to start all over... what can I do?! 

I assume you've figured this out by now, but it was a terrible idea to do this.  Even if he was a good guy, you don't want to hand over your power to a bf.  The fact that you misjudged his character makes this even worse.  He sounds like a major dick!

I mention it because there may not be a lot you can do.  If it's his business legally, he can do what he wants.  That said, you might want to consult an atty.  This is just a  one time thing and won't obligate you to anything, but you'll learn your options (if any).  There may be promises he made verbally, or even better, in a text that could count towards a verbal contract.

PS - To those shrieking about suing him, that isn't why she'd see the atty.  Odds are against her, but it's about learning if she has options.  Sometimes a registered letter from an atty pointing out something is enough to get him to back off. 

TALK TO A LAWYER! The first half hour consult is usually free. 

HIRE A LAWYER!!   For goodness sake--isn't this obvious? 

It's in his name, so you phuced up. Nothing you can do.

Talk to a lawyer.

So the only thing you can do it to take whatever assets that you can prove are yours and leave and open a business under your OWN name.

Yes, you can try to find a lawyer and sue him to make him give it back to you...but the lawyer is going to cost you $350.00 an hour or more.  figuring that it will take the lawyer 20 hours to prepare a case, 10 hours to 'discover' what your boyfriend is claiming is his (reviewing any documents or legal forms) and another 2- 3 hours in court...even if you win you will have paid more than $11,000.00 to the lawyer.

And then if you lose, you have to pay court costs also.

You could seriously take that money and open a new business with a new name.

And he is no longer your boyfriend...he is the lousy (FILTHY BAD WORDS) that broke your heart and 'took' your business.

ALWAYS get a contract.

A verbal contract is not worth the paper it is written on.  You are in trouble if nothing was in writing!

Peace.

• y

under his name, prove it is yours.

• Scott

It never was "your" business, it was his. You're going through life with blinders on.

Your BOYFRIEND is not "trying" to break up with you = HE IS BREAKING up with you.  You don't have a choice in the situation.

You were not married to this person.  He wasn't even your finance.  This is his business not yours.- that's what you get when you put everything in the name of someone you don't have a commitment with.

You have no choice but to start all over.  This is NOT your business, because you LET IT BE HIS.

1. Next time, but your big girl panties on and if you are going to open a business YOU OPEN THE BUSINESS.  If you can't because of whatever reason, then you wait to open it.

2. Don't date *******