Budget Monitor and Keyboard?

Hey all, I've decided to get a computer for Christmas.

I don't want to pressure my parents into buying an overly priced one.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/8s4qFG

These are the parts I've picked out (I know a PC Builder online for a few years who helped me pick these out)Obviously since I'm on a tight budget, I've settled for a £15 mouse.

Is there any recommendations for a monitor and a keyboard? 

Single Channel RAM is going to cripple the iGPU performance....

Thank you for providing a pcpartpicker list. 

Hate to say this but a Console would be better than the system you picked. If this PC is solely for playing games that you can find on both the PC and Console, then get a used PS4. The Vega 8 iGPU in the Ryzen 3 3200g is capable of playing modern games at 1280x720, which is behind what was/is used in the original PS4. 

By Christmas, there's should be a slew of new hardware that's out so you'll most likely have different options to choose from. The 3200g is based on Zen+ architecture, but AMD is going to release their Ryzen 4000 series APU's here soon which are based off the newer Zen 2 architecture that's used in the Ryzen 3000-series processors. The Ryzen 4000 series APU should also come with a better iGPU. 

Yeah, the system will run with a 400w power supply, but you should really look for a decent 80-plus Bronze unit that's around 550w. That way, you will have more flexibility when it comes to adding a dedicated graphics card. 

A b450 motherboard or possibly a b550 motherboard won't cost a whole lot more than the a320 version. When you consider the features of a b-series board and the weak VRM's on an a320 board, a b450 board is a better value. Also, having 4 RAM slots will help a lot since you only picked 8gb of RAM. Modern games really need 16gb of RAM.

Prices of computer hardware will hopefully be a little bit better come Christmas. I know you pushed the price of the system down as low as you can get it, but too many corners have been cut. A 240gb-256gb drive costs 7 pounds more than a 120gb drive, a 16gb kit of RAM is not even close to double the price, the power supply doesn't take a Graphics card upgrade into account which could be costly down the road, and the motherboard is very poor for running anything higher than a 6-core processor. It's like value has been sacrificed for price which isn't good for longterm use. 

If you're looking to play First person shooters like CS:Go and Fortnite then a monitor with a TN panel will perform the best. TN Panel monitor are also the cheapest and decent ones have very little input lag. What turns people off about TN Panel monitors is the colors sometimes look washed and they're not as vibrant as what you'll see with an IPS panel. A 24" 1080p 60hz display can be found for a good price. In the past, I used to hunt down deals by buying open box monitors and most of the time I've had good luck with those.

• David

If you are on a tight budget go to Morgan Computers or the Dell outlet store

https://www.morgancomputers.co.uk

I have checked your build, note the potential issues with the Ryzen 3 CPU and the AMD 320 chipset motherboard. Additionally I can see only 1 chassis fan header, the case already includes 1 fan so you would need a fan splitter to use the extra two you have in your build. As you are using onboard graphics, there is no real need for two extra fans anyway. 

The 120GB SSD is the smallest you should consider ideally go for a 256GB, the money saved by not purchasing the fans could be used towards this.

Consider a single 8GB RAM module rather than 2x4GB, this way you could upgrade to 16GB by adding another 8GB at some later stage rather than having to scrap the 2x4GB RAM.

• User

I've had REALLY good luck with refurbished monitors.

Right now I'm using a refurbished Dell that I bought on Walmart.com and it's been beautiful for years. I also have the previous used monitor (still working, but not as big or as bright as this one.) I bought that one on Walmart.com also.

Dell is widely considered to be the most reliable brand of high-quality monitor

and you can get a very nice monitor in excellent condition for less than US$100.

Keyboard: I'm not going to recommend since there are so many things to consider, like click or non-click, n-roll, key placement, keyboard size, etc. My advice is: look on Amazon.com, look only at keyboards that have at least 4 stars and at least 100 reviews.

There are many fine keyboards, most fall into two types--membrane switch (less expensive, down to $20, good for general use) and mechanical switch (gamers prefer the action, some are lighted).  Prices can go between $35 and $150 USD.