Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 month ago

Who would be at fault in this scenario?

So luckily, nothing happened because I braked quickly. But out of curiosity, who would be at fault if I was just about to leave my parking spot at a shopping center and a car hit me that was driving on the left side of the parking lot even tho she should have been on the right side. Who would be at fault?

Update:

Also, a big suv parked next to me was blocking the view so I didn't see her.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

That's an easy one.  You'd be 100% responsible, even with the other idiot driving on the 'wrong' side of the roadway.  

When you're leaving any type of parked position, you don't have right of way over anyone else at any time.  As soon as an insurance company hears that your vehicle was backing up and / or leaving a parked position, they accept 100% liability on your behalf.  Same deal when you're backing up, same deal if you rear-end the vehicle in front of you.  They don't care what the other idiot was doing at the time, because it doesn't matter.

• May
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

So, Only insurance companies can determine liability (fault).

So

The "SO" generation.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You cannot legally proceed (forward or backward) unless your path is clear.  Your path would not be clear.

Big SUV?  You back out inch by inch by inch.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN AT FAULT. YOU DID NOT HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Erik
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You would be at fault, because you were backing out of a parking spot.  The other car had the right of way.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You. You were backing out.

• CB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You pulled into a travel lane and would have failed to yield right of way. This is why you very SLOWLY ease into the lane when there is no clean line of sight - so that the other person has a chance to see you and stop/avoid or more likely blow the horn. 

• Scott
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You would have been if you were pulling out of a parking spot.

• y
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Also, a big suv parked next to me was blocking the view so I didn't see her.

Plays no part in this although most think it is some sort of excuse for some strange reason.

I believe you would be at fault.

• 1 month ago

You would be at fault.  An officer explained to me that a parked car starting to move must yield to all moving cars, no matter where they are coming from. You dodged that bullet.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.