Do you think humans are more important than animals?

Favorite Answer

That is like asking if cats are more important than animals. We are all animals. In terms of importance, that is a matter of subjective opinion and even relative to the circumstance and "who" we are comparing to. While we like equal rights, humans are far from equal.

I don't think that... Only you believe that I do 

Yes.  In the same way my family is more important to me than a stranger, those of my species are more important to me than other species.  And the further from us a relation goes, the greater the disconnect.  That's just natural.

Imagine you are running into a fire.  You can only save one.  

First scenario:

Do you save your family member or a stranger?  

Clearly, everyone would save their family member.  No shame in it.  Perfectly natural.

Second scenario:

Do you save your family pet (who you love very much in this scenario) or a stranger? 

It's harder isn't it?  Even if you chose the pet, I'll bet you had to think about it. The only thing that changed from the last scenario was the species of one choice.  This proves that you value humans more than animals.  If you actually CHOSE the human, the proof is all the stronger.

Important in the sense of intellect. Only humans can produce medicines, technologies, Science, agriculture, education, trade and employment. Doesn’t mean they’re morally better than animals - they just have the intellect to make living more convenient for all on the planet.

Irrelevant since humans ARE animals, specifically of the great ape family

Humans are animals.  It depends on the species. Because humans have complex interpersonal lives, their moral agency influences other humans and their use of technology means they can have a major positive or negative influence on the ecosystem and therefore other animals.  So yes, in a way, but it should go without saying that veganism is a moral imperative for all humans.

• Paul

Yes, since we are created in the image and likeness of God, with a spiritual nature and an immortal soul.

I don't think that humans should be able to do whatever they want, just on a whim, if it harms other animals unnecessarily but broadly speaking yes, I DO think humans are more important than animals. 

That's because I am a human. If other animals were capable of thought they would all think of their own species as being more important than others.

• yesmar

In one aspect, yes.  From another aspect, no.

• Ann

I do..............................