Katya asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Does anyone know where I can adopt an already declawed kitten/adult cat by any chance?(preferably kitten) My family would wish to adopt one?

How would you like it if someone ripped out your finger nails?  It is classified as animal cruelty to do a terrible thing like that.

What a weird question.  Like there's only one specific place to find one????  Go to a shelter and ask if any of the cats are declawed.  Be warned, though.  If your parents sound like people that think that mutilating cats by chopping off the first joint of every toe is something people should be doing to cats you likely WON'T be allowed to adopt. The shelter will realize that you'll end up doing this to the next cat.

What is your family's reasons for "needing" a cat to be declawed?  If it's scratching on the furniture I've cats for over 30 years and not ONE cat has EVER laid a paw on anything in my home other than the cat trees and scratchers I provide for them.

I can't imagine a vet agreeing to declaw a kitten.

I did have a declawed grown cat that I got from a shelter. Great cat, too. I still miss him. You can go to a shelter and ask. I don't know if any shelters keep list of requests, but maybe some do. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Honey, you say you and Mom will deal with the issues, but if Dad doesn't want a cat ruining the furniture, one that urinates outside the box will be even less welcome, I guarantee. 

I personally don't. Nor do I know of anyone who would do such a thing, since in the country where I'm from (England) it's illegal, and has been so since 2006. 

You shouldn't declaw a cat for different reasons.

- it isn't only pulling their claws out, it actually involves cutting off the distal phalanges of the toes, and so is the equivalent of cutting off the furthest part of the human fingers, which is painful for the cat.

- inappropriate elimination i.e. toileting outside of their litter box is a frequent issue, because it physically hurts the cat to dig in the litter to cover their waste.

- it can result in the tissues of their paws becoming infected a lot more easily because of the open wound.

- people sometimes do it to prevent an aggressive cat from scratching, but it doesn't stop the problem behavior. Cats will become hyper aware of what they have left, so will use their back claws, and will also bite more which can be very dangerous, as cat bites can become seriously infected since the wound is essentially a puncture wound, meaning that dirt and pathogens are carried far in, plus it doesn't bleed much, so the wound isn't flushed out much.

- sometimes it's done so cats won't claw at furniture or wallpaper. I understand perfectly well if this is the reason why you're after a cat who has been declawed. However, this is a natural cat behavior because it helps to keep their claws sharp and healthy, plus it scent marks their territory (due to the scent from their paw pads). An easy solution to that however, is to give the cat a scratching post to scratch their claws on instead, trimming their claws regularly, and you can also get claw caps available, similar to someone having their nails manicured.

- their gait can be altered a lot - similar to someone limping if they've got a hip, leg, knee, ankle or foot injury - and this can lead to problems with arthritis, especially with older cats.

Hope this helps.

• Ocimom

Kittens are rarely declawed.  You may find a declawed cat in some cat rescues or a shelter.  Why would you want one?  They probably have issues because of the declawing - refusing to use a litter pan, fear biting or hiding from people all the time.

You likely wont find a kitten that is declawed but there are plenty of declawed adults sitting in shelters. 

Those cats have been given away because they bite or pee where they aren't supposed to.   That's what amputating a cat's toes does to them.

Declawing is illegal or considered unethical for good reason.

Petfinder.com.  you can do a search using your zip code, and from there you can narrow your search down to declawed cats

Yes, at the rescue that's down the street from my house.  I'm assuming other rescues also have declawed cats/kittens because there are so many cruel people in the world.

Every had your nails pulled out?

• *****

You're likely to find declawed older kittens and adult cats at most shelters, if you're in the USA and wanting to deal with a lifetime of health and behavioral problems. Many stop using their litter boxes and/or become highly aggressive following declaw, and wind up dumped at shelters as a result. It's a barbaric and cruel procedure that's outlawed in civilized countries.