will this bleeding my clutch on my 06  gto to get air out ?

Okay so first time I decide to bleed my clutch I messed up letting the reservoir go empty and air get in the line so what I'd like to know is if this method would work to get the air out of the lineStep 1 open the bleeder valve step 2 have my friend continuously pump the clutch while I fill the reservoir with clutch fluid maintaining the level so it doesn't go empty until we go through about three bottles of fluid  .then when I'm on my last bottle have  my friend  hold the clutch down while I close the bleeder valve and right when he's about to release the clutch continuously add fluid to make sure it doesn't go dry    

will this work

• M.

Answer:  No. 

Commentary:

It's better to understand WHY to bleed a hydraulic clutch system, before you just decide to bleed it for no reason. 

Your guess at how to bleed the air out, is not likely to work, because you don't seem to understand what is happening.  You only need a few ounces of fluid, not 3 cans.  Hydraulic clutch plumbing sometimes has some vertical plumbing, which is difficult to get air out of if you don't know how.

Ideally, you need 3 people to bleed BRAKES or a HYDRAULIC CLUTCH. 

One person to put pressure on the pedal, let the pedal up, or pump the pedal.

One person under the car, to give commands to push the pedal, let it up or pump the pedal, while coordinating the opening and closing of the bleeder valve.

One person to constantly watch the hydraulic fluid reservoir and add fluid before it gets too low. 

I usually do all three myself, but try to get at least one helper to sit in the car and move the pedal. 

I don't like anyone else's procedure and I have not found anything sensibly written online that I could refer you to. 

Other than showing you in person, I don't know what to tell you. 

-General automotive mechanic since 1972

The trick to bleeding a clutch hydraulic system is to have 2 people. It takes a good dozen repetitions to get all the air out. Don't pump the clutch pedal. while the pedal is held down to the floor you have to quickly open and close the bleeder screw. Don't wait until the fluid stops. Close the bleeder before the pressure stops. Fill the reservoir every 3 times you work the bleeder screw. 

Don't continuously pump the pedal, that can draw air back in on the upstroke and defeat the process.

Attach a clear pipe to the bleed nipple. Then open the nipple and have your friend floor the pedal and hold it there while you tighten the nipple up again. Then have him release the pedal. Repeat on the same basis, nipple open, pedal; down and held, tighten nipple and release pedal,  In other words, pedal down with the nipple open, nipple tight and pedal up.  You're looking for clear fluid without bubbles to appear in the pipe. And, yes, you need to keep an eye on the level of the fluid in the reservoir.

Fill the reservoir with the proper fluid with the bleed valve closed. Let the system sit for a few minutes to let the system burp a little. With the bleed valve still closed pump up the system 3 to 5 times to pressurize it. Check the fluid levels again and refill as needed. Let it sit a few more minutes. Now is the time to have your friend push in the pedal and hold while you bleed the valve into a fluid jar and watch for air bubbles but only for a couple of seconds, you want to bleed the air out, not the fluid again. Don't open the bleed very much, just get a flow and stop. So, through multiple pedal push/hold cycles from your friend to pressurize the system you should be able to get the air out. You do need to check and add fluid into the master unit after each cycle. It should clear fairly quickly and the pedal will stop being spongy. Hopefully, you know to use a tube connected to the bleed valve and use a jar as I mention above. 

What your plan would do is re-introduce air every time you pump the pedal because you create a vacuum at the bleeder valve end. Using a deep enough level of fluid in the jar mitigates that risk but why even introduce that variable; it also tends to trap air between push effort from the master and vacuum force from the valve like a float bubble. Luckily a clutch system is pretty straight forward, not as complex as doing a 4 wheel fluid replacement/bleed. 

Do a gravity bleed first.  Service the reservoir and open the bleeder valve.  Come back in an hour or two and top off the reservoir.  Do this until you have used about a half quart of fluid (it will take a day).

You then close the bleeder, check the reservoir and top it off and call your friend.  Your friend presses on the clutch pedal and while the pedal is pressed, you open the bleeder valve until fluid comes out then close it.  Your friend releases the clutch and you check the reservoir.  Continue this until a solid stream of fluid comes out of the bleeder valve.  Check clutch pedal if it stays firm when pressed with the bleeder valve closed.

maybe you should get a mechanic to help you with that

• Da

Just do the 1 person bleed with the hose and bottle. It's so much easier.