High school science teacher classroom management?

I have been teaching at a high school for 4 years.

At the end of this year they told me that if this coming year my classroom management does not improve that I will not get my contract renewed the following year.

My first 2 years I was nervous, I was way too lenient.

My 3rd and 4th year I tried really hard. I tried to be more strict, calling more parents, writing more referrals.  But it still was not enough.

What advice do you have?

I am really worried that I will not be able to find a job if my contract does not get renewed.

Thank you

• Ludwig

Take a look around your class.  Are there a couple of real troublemakers who do not want to learn anything, and could not do so if they wanted?  Big kids who push the others around?    Take these aside at the start of the year, and tell them they do not have to do assignments and tests if they do not want to, because they are going to be the Class Prefects.   Tell them to keep the other kids in order, and that whatever they need to do to those who won't listen - you won't see it.     This will be good for the kids who want to learn, and will be practice for the bad kids for when they become cops.

Incentives work better than punishment. Google the Banana Bucks system. You print out bananas, and award them to kids who behave. They can trade in the bananas for privileges- 3 for the right to chew gum in class, 10 to skip a homework assignment. I know a teachers who use this very effectively. Punishment is only a short term deterrent- kids work at finding ways around it. 

• I'm so sorry you are going through this right now. It sounds like you have tried everything you can think of. I would maybe talk to the principal about it and see if he/she can tell you what he/she wants you to do more of or less of. I'll keep you in my prayers.