landlord took money out of my bank?

can a landlord take money out of your bank if you break a lease

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Only if YOU give the landlord your account number! No one can access your bank account without your help. I hope you didn't give a landlord that information. 

• 4 weeks ago

They can only take money from your account if:

A. You have given them your bank details and password

Or

B. they have hacked into your account

If you break a lease, they can sue you for money, but they can't just take it

• 4 weeks ago

Sure, if you gave them your banking info and if you owe them money.  If they hacked your account, then of course that is not legal.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • Scott
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

A landlord cannot just take money out of your account unless you provide them the means to do so.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Only way they can do that is if you signed something authorizing it.  Otheriwse they would have no way to access your account.,.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The only way anyone could take money out of your account is if you set up the account for them to do so...like a direct debit/standing order

• Judith
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If you had it set up for automatic withdrawals then sure and probably if you've paid by check which has your bank's routing # and your account # on it.  They have the information needed to do it, don't they?  Plus you OWE it so they've done nothing wrong.

• 1 month ago

They would need direct access,  their name on the account.   Talk to your bank. 

• 1 month ago

if you gave access to your bank account for payments

• I don't think he/she should. Yes renters are required to pay rent, but I don't think they should just go and take money out of your account. But what they can do is give you a notice to move out if you continually don't pay your rent. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.