My laptop connects to mobile hotspots, but not Wi-Fi networks. Help?

Please read this first: So my laptop is having this issue where it can connect to mobile hotspots but not Wi-Fi networks. Recently, my whole family had an issue where there Wi-Fi went out and they all connected back shortly after, but my laptop still hasn't connected back. When I try to connect, it says "Can't connect to this network". I even sat right next to my router and tried, and the same issue occurred. What is happening here, and how do I fix it? Fyi, I use Windows 10.

I have tried some solutions that didn't work. This includes troubleshooting, toggling airplane mode, and forgetting the network. There may even be more that I forgot about.

Thank you for all your help! The problem is resolved by rebooting the router.

• David
    Favorite Answer

Reboot the router, by powercycling it on and off. Should work after that.

• Lv 7

it'spossible that your laptop's wifi radio uses an outdated format (Wireless G or N), that the wifi routers do not support.

it could also have to do with the security used. for instance, if the routers support WPA2, but your device only supports WPA.

i should also note that some cheaper routers do not handle backwards compatibility well, although whoever set them up could have just done a crappy job...

• Bill-M

Mobile Hotspots ARE WIFI networks.

Restart laptop.