Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 1 month ago

I’m pregnant and the father is an alcoholic.  Is my unborn baby at risk of birth defects?

I don’t like the fact that he drinks while I’m pregnent. How do I tell him to stop for the sake of a healthy baby?

• Edna

The father of your child could be a complete alcoholic, but whatever amount he drinks isn't going to affect the health of your unborn child. He's already done his part when he got you pregnant. It's what YOU do while you're pregnant that will affect the unborn child's health. If YOU are an alcoholic, THAT could affect the baby's health. 

more at risk if you are a drunk

No. The bigger concern isn't him, it's YOU. Alcohol and pregnancy DON'T MIX. The single most preventable developmental disability is FETAL ALCOHOL SYNDROME, which is caused entirely by the mother consuming alcohol during her pregnancy. Whether or not the father drinks is irrelevant.

• edward

I would be more concerned about the mother.  Are you an alcoholic?  How old are you?  What is your medical history?

No. As long as you don’t drink it doesn’t matter that he drinks.