Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

My engine makes a whirring sound.?

Every time I press the gas pedal, accelerating makes a whirring sound louder and louder as the rpm goes up. I recently changed shifts and I get out at 5 and when it’s cold it doesn’t really make the whirring sound as much. I know it could be a lot of things but I’m not sure which one matches what I’m saying. 

Start by taking the drive belts off and then running the motor to find out if the noise is still there. If it's still there you likely have a bad timing belt pulley and you need to replace the timing belt immediately before the timing belt jumps and bends all your valves. If the noise is gone spin the pulleys by hand to find the bad pulley bearing.

Year make and model.  Automatic or manual.  Remove belts and see if the noise goes away.  If it does, you know where to look.  If it does not, it can be everything in the engine, clutch or transmission.

• Evil C

It would help if you told us the year/make/model of your car