What are your thoughts on immigration ?

Favorite Answer

Here in the Western Hemisphere, everybody descends from an immigrant, most of whom came for reasons similar to more recent ones. So those whining about "do it the right way" 

/ "they need to learn English" (in other countries/regions French, Spanish, Portuguese etc) well did their ancestors ask the Indigenous peoples if they could do so? Did they learn a Native language? -- If this pertains to another part of the world, please specify so I can edit.

I'm fine with immigration.

I love immigration. I love immigrants. I want great people to immigrate to the USA that want to enjoy the benefits of being a US Citizen and embrace our culture. I love immigration laws. I would like to see them enforced. If people broke the law to enter the country, or came here legally, but overstayed their visa. Their presence here is unlawful. What they are doing is illegal, as illegal as stealing. However we have allowed this for too long for blanket deportation to even be close to a viable solution to the problem. We need a new path moving forward. That path is: Secure the border. Create a date in the future by which persons who have broken the law can come forward to register for citizenship. They will be given the opportunity to prepare for the citizenship test, and should they pass it, take the oath and become citizens. This will not be easy to do, nor will it come without cost. Anything worthwhile and valuable has an associated cost, and being a US citizen is a very valuable thing. After the time has passed for people to enter into the process. Persons convicted of breaking the immigration law and not filing for citizenship would be subject to deportation. It would become unlawful for a person who is not a citizen or is in the process of becoming one to get a job, rent a house or apartment, to purchase a vehicle, to obtain a drivers license or ID card, to open a bank account, obtain a credit card, or apply for a loan. There needs to be penalties for businesses that make these kinds of services available to non-citizens. We have to remove the benefit of coming here unless it is done within the confines of the law. 

I'm ok with it when it's done the correct way by following the rules.

Nothing.........

Doesn't affect me so I'm not bothered.

It gives me migraines.