Anonymous

When will he propose to me?

We lived together at his moms for a year, we have lived on our own for 6 months and this month we are going on 3 years and I was just wondering when he might propose to me? I don’t know if he even thinks of that stuff and I don’t know if that’s too soon anyways 

I am 22 and he’s 25

Favorite Answer

At your age, you are still learning about your adult self, and to commit yourself to someone for the rest of your life is quite a risk. People do get married and have children in their early twenties, of course, but really, hardly any remain "happy ever after". 

We fall madly in love, don’t we, thinking (feeling rather) that it will last forever and is enough for a serious relationship. However, it’s very hard to live on an emotional high for very long. Eventually we start to come down from the ecstasy, excitement, strong passions and desires, typically after around 18 months to three years (people vary of course). If couples are friends, discuss their mutual values, shared ambitions, interests, etc., in some depth (obviously there will be some differences, which help make relationships interesting), and make plans, work on their personal development, etc., this can develop into a long and wonderful relationship. If one party feels insecure or low in self respect, it can make for a difficult partnership. It's easy to behave at our best when in love, but marriage, for example, requires a lot of self discipline, sacrifice, compromise and flexibility. If a strong friendship is not in place, the relationship will probably peter out eventually - or worse. Quite often we fall in love because we are lonely and allow ourselves to be won over by anyone who takes an interest in us. Thus we give away control to somebody else if we are not careful. This is another reason for taking things very slowly, and really getting to know someone before committing ourselves or getting too emotionally or sexually involved. Sex can be emotionally bonding, which is disastrous if the other things are not there: strong friendship, similar values and standards, common interests, etc. 

Good Luck!

• Dave

You're just an FWB.  Why can't I meet women like you? 

• Tj

Why buy the cow, when milk is free?   He will never marry you.

• Alan H

Let us assumed his surnmae is Smith.  Just say, " My children will not be Smith if I am not!"

Is it possible, just POSSIBLE that it would make far more sense to ask HIM this question than to ask a group of random strangers on the internet who don't know either of you and couldn't answer your question even if we did? Just something to consider.

The answer is never.  Why would he buy the cow when the milk is free (to quote my grandmother)?

• g

You can't actually have this conversation with him, see where he is on the whole idea of marriage? He may not be thinking about it at all.

My cousin has lived with his girl friend for about 30 years.  She calls herself a spinster and is having hew own birthday party at age 50.  My cousin will not take a hint or challenges from relatives.

• Linda

Have you ever talked about it ever since you've been together and if so, how does he view marriage? Whether he will propose to you is anybody's guess and how does he treat you? If things are going well, you can always propose to him and/or hint at it?...that might be all it takes to get the ball going in that direction...best of luck!

Source(s): Experience