Selling cookies: how much is reasonable to charge?

You know those cookie decorating videos online? I am going to start making and selling those kind of cookies, but I have no idea what a reasonable price would be. I first started off by thinking $5 for 6 cookies and $10 for a dozen, then I started thinking about maybe $1 or .50c per cookie. I’m just starting out, so what do you think a reasonable price would be?

Packaging, shipping, ingredients and materials aren’t free. Honestly I think 6 for $5 or 12 for $10 is a good price..I’m not asking for like thousands of $$ for half a cookie

Thank you all for your answers!

Favorite Answer

You have to determine its cost per portion, packaging, time, marketing segment and profit percentage 

• John

Best cookies to sell are chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin. I'm guessing that your cookie decorating is sugar cookies, which aren't as popular. A full sized 3-4 inch chocolate chip should be a dollar, half that size 50 cents. You aren't going to sell them for more than a dollar, mostly.

• Eva

Do market research in your area to find out.  What do bakeries in grocery stores charge for specialty cookies?  What do other stand-alone bakeries charge?  What do your ingredients cost and how much time does it take to make them?

Can you find someone that is making a similar product online ? If so, you should see what they are charging.