Do car mechanics make a lot of money?

I'm 22, my parents are convincing me to become a car mechanic because my cousins who have been mechanics for several years now are making a lot of money and are supporting their families well.

When I was in high school, I was obsessed about cars, high end luxury and performance cars. I was also interested in fixing them, but when I started working with one of my cousins at his auto shop, I felt miserable. Cars are so complex. You are working in a dirty environment, working on heavy machinery, and I just didn't like it. I enjoy detailing cars though.

But my parents became disappointed in me when I quit mechanics to look for another career. They tried to tell me that mechanics make a lot of money, and that my cousins are now on their feet, supporting their families and making lots of money.

Anyhow, a few weeks ago, I went to work with the same cousin at his mechanic shop, he decided I can be his reception. So I said ok. On the first day, he told me that I made a mistake by not becoming a mechanic. A few days later, I told my sister what he said, and she agreed saying "yah because mechanics make a lot of money."

My family is causing me a lot of frustration. They think that I want to get a job just because it sounds cool or whatever.

If that was the case, I would have studied to become a doctor or a lawyer. For some reason, I just got a bad vibe in mechanics.

• david
    Favorite Answer

It really is best to follow your inclinations.  It's a good thing you've tried working on cars, so you know what it's really like.  Maybe you should go to college and study in a field which will suit you in technology, automobile design or management.  This is a good course of action if you want to make good money, but don't want to struggle in a tough or dirty environment.  It's working with your brain instead of working with your hands.  You can always work on your own or become some sort of hobbyist on the side.

• bo

see about getting into a trade school most will have jobs lined up when you graduate. it's not as easy as it used to be and you'll have to invest in thousands of dollars worth of tools. so you'll have to ask yourself if its for you and not what your parents think what's best for you. also talk with your cousins

It must suck for geo to have such low self esteem that he depends on giving himself best answer here over 70% of the time to give it a boost.

If you do go into repairing cars you best get training for Hybrids and electric vehicles. Working at a dealer is great for factory training but they work on fat rate commission and most dealer don't offer a guaranteed wage anymore. Good luck getting them to give you a health insurance program too! Don't get me wrong. If you can sk them bout an apprenticeship program you might have a better chance of getting some good training before you find a private shop that pays better.

• Geo

You should only be a Mechanic if you LOVE IT, and obviously you don't. It's a Dirty, sometimes Dangerous job that you'll get get cuts, abrasions and bruises regularly. A better choice for you would be HVAC Technician. You can go to a Community College or Tech Scchool and get Certified in less than 2 years. AC works the same on everything, you Remove Heat through a Condenser and the Compressor makes a HIGH pressure Liquid and it turns into a LOW pressure Gas, through a THX in the Evaporator. That's where you get the High and Low side of an AC System. And then you having the Blower and Ducting. It is WAY simpler than Automotive Tech and you can go Anywhere and find good paying jobs. And YES, Auto AC works the same way. But that's just an idea, find something you enjoy doing that pays well because not everyone knows how things work. You want to work Smarter, not Harder. And there's nothing worse than going to  a job you hate.

Sounds like another troll story again.

• Scott

You haven't offered any numbers to support the claim of "making a lot of money". What do you (or your parents) consider a "lot of money"?  A mechanic can make a decent living, but I wouldn't call it a lot of money. My oldest son is a diesel mechanic and he does make good money, but it's very hard work. He's very good at it and has 20 years of experience. He also has about $60,000 invested in tools. Unless you own the shop, dealership mechanics probably are at the top of the earnings pile.